BetMGM is one of the biggest names in America’s burgeoning online sports betting industry. Their user experience is particularly impressive — with its clean design, streaming video of live events, and helpful Parlay Generator tool, BetMGM may have the best interface of any online sportsbook. There are a few areas in which they fall short of their competitors, though. Below, we’ll review everything you need to know about the pros and cons of using this operator.
How We Reviewed BetMGM
There are many factors to consider when evaluating a sportsbook operator. In order to come up with our overall score, we reviewed this platform’s sports variety, bonuses, banking methods, user interface, customer support, and security features.
|How we score sports betting sites|
|Sports Variety||The best sports betting sites offer a wide variety of sporting events and games to bet on. We looked for sports betting sites that consistently have lots of options.||Score: 4.4|
|Bonuses and Promos||It’s important that bettors understand the terms of the bonuses offered by sports betting sites. We put a premium on sites whose bonuses have clear terms and conditions, and continue to offer promotions after their initial welcome bonus.||Score: 4.7|
|Banking Methods||From online banking to cryptocurrency, bettors should be able to make deposits and withdrawals in a way that’s convenient for them. We also factor payout speeds into this rating.||Score: 4.8|
|User Interface||Making deposits, placing bets, and cashing out should all be easy tasks to accomplish on a sports betting site’s desktop and mobile app. We look for a smooth and engaging user experience.||Score: 5|
|Customer Support||Sports betting sites should offer multiple help options to their bettors, whether that’s phone support, live chat, or email support. Bettors deserve to be dealing with a real person when issues with betting arise.||Score: 4|
|Security and Safety||Sports betting sites must be licensed with the appropriate regulators. We look for valid licenses and score sports betting sites on how well they protect their bettors’ data.||Score: 4.9|
|Overall Score: 4.63
Pros and cons
We wanted to provide you with an unbiased review of this operator, so we made sure to cover both the advantages and disadvantages to using BetMGM over other sportsbooks. Their user interface really stands out, and they offer a strong selection of sporting events and betting types to choose from as well. But they should ideally offer a phone option for customer support.
|What We Like||What We Don’t Like|
|User-friendly and feature-rich interface||No phone support|
|Variety of sports and betting types available|
|Many different options for making deposits and withdrawals|
In addition to popular leagues like the NFL and NBA, there are some niche sports available on BetMGM that you won’t find in many other online sportsbooks, such as Formula One and volleyball. One notable sport missing, though, is Aussie rules football — if you’d like to bet on that, you’ll need to use another operator. Overall, they offer the following sports betting markets:
- Formula One
- Motor Sports
- Rugby League
- Rugby Union
Live betting information
This operator also offers live betting, which allows you to place wagers on sporting events while they are in progress. It’s easy to find these betting markets on BetMGM — navigating to the “Live” section of this platform will immediately take you to all the live betting events that are currently available. For many events, BetMGM even has a live video feed that allows you to watch what you’re betting on as you place your bets.
Types of bets available
The most popular ways to bet on sports are all available on BetMGM, including:
- Spread: Most games feature a favorite and an underdog rather than two evenly matched opponents. In this type of bet, the favorite will need to win by a certain margin (the spread) in order for you to win a wager that was placed on them. Conversely, even if the underdog loses, you’ll win a bet that was placed on them as long as they lose by fewer points than the spread.
- Moneyline: In this type of wager, if the team you bet on wins the game, then you win your bet. Moneyline bets on the favorite offer lower payouts due to the low risk, while moneyline bets on the underdog involve high risk and higher payouts.
- Total: Also known as over/under bets, placing wagers on the total involves betting on how many points will be scored in a game rather than which team will actually win.
- Prop: Instead of wagering on the final outcome of a game, such as which team will win or the final score, you can also wager on separate events within the game with prop bets. Player props allow you to bet on individual player performance, such as whether a football player will score a certain number of touchdowns. With game props, you can place bets on broader events, such as which team will have the lead after the first quarter or whether the game will go into overtime.
- Parlay: To place a parlay bet, you’ll need to string together multiple selections into a single wager. If any of the selections in your parlay fail, you lose the entire bet. But when parlays hit, they offer the potential for exceptionally high payouts.
- Round Robin: If you have more than two selections you would like to make, you should consider using the round robin method rather than a simple parlay. To demonstrate how this works, let’s say there are three moneyline bets that you like: A, B, and C. In a simple parlay bet of ABC, you won’t get a single cent if any of those teams lose. But with a round robin bet, you would instead place bets on three separate parlay combinations of AB, BC, and AC. If one team loses, you would still win two of your bets. By wagering on multiple combinations like this, you can hedge some of the risk of parlays while still taking advantage of their high payouts.
Sports betting limits
The minimum bet value on BetMGM is $0.50. There are no rules for maximum bets, though BetMGM does allow you to set limits for yourself to encourage responsible gaming. It’s also worth noting that round robin bets are limited to eight or fewer selections.
Bonuses and Promotions
BetMGM offers a variety of different bonuses to both new and existing users. As of this writing, the following promotions are available:
$1,000 Risk-Free Bet. When new users place their first bet on this platform, they’ll find that it’s entirely risk-free. That means if you lose the wager, the amount you risked will be credited right back into your account. This bonus is capped at $1,000.
Refer a Friend. You can receive $50 cash for each person you refer to BetMGM. In order to earn this bonus, the person you referred will need to wager at least $50 total on their end.
Weekly $10 Free Bet. With BetMGM’s Money Monday Club, you will receive a $10 free bet every week as long as you wagered at least $50 the previous week.
BetMGM Banking Options
This operator is also notable for the variety of options they give you for making deposits and cashing out your winnings. The tables below break down exactly which methods are available and other important details you should know:
|Depositing Method||Minimum Limit|
|Bank Transfer (ACH)||$10|
|Visa Fast Funds||3 to 5 business days|
|PayPal eWallet||24 hours|
|Bank Transfer||1 to 7 business days|
|Pre-Paid Play+||6 hours|
BetMGM’s user interface is exceptional. The site’s design is clean and easy to navigate, and yet also offers plenty of extras such as the built-in video player for live events mentioned above. Our favorite feature is the Parlay Generator, which allows you to work backward from your preferred odds per selection and overall payout potential when making parlay bets.
BetMGM offers email and 24/7 live chat options for customer support. They also address the most frequently asked questions in their help center — if you look for the answer to your question in the help center first, there’s a good chance you won’t need to contact their support team at all.
Security and Safety
BetMGM uses firewalls and other industry-standard security measures to protect their servers from unauthorized access. Their staff is also trained to never allow unauthorized persons to view or access your private data. Considering all the contact and financial information you must share to use BetMGM, it’s nice to know these safeguards are in place.
If you ever feel like you have a problem with wagering too much money, you should take advantage of BetMGM’s responsible gaming tools, which allow you to set daily, weekly, or monthly deposit limits for your account. You can also freeze your account to give yourself a break or disable your account entirely.
BetMGM has been licensed by the gaming board of each state where they allow bettors to use their platform. That should give you some peace of mind — these regulatory bodies help ensure that sportsbook operators keep their users’ funds and private data secure.
States Where BetMGM Is Available
BetMGM’s online sportsbook is available in most states that have legalized sports betting, including:
- New Jersey
- New York
- Washington, D.C.
- West Virginia