Sports betting in Colorado went live in 2020, and since then has grown to become one of the largest sports betting industries in the country.
With 25 online sportsbooks currently live in the state, Colorado residents have access to a wide variety of offers, promotions, and sign-up bonuses.
Here’s everything you need to know about online sports betting in Colorado, including which apps you can use to place bets, who can place bets, and how to bet responsibly.
Details About Sports Betting in Colorado
- Legal sports betting in Colorado launched in May 2020. There are currently 25 sportsbooks live in the state and more are expected to launch in the future.
- Colorado’s online sports betting laws allow each of the state’s 30-plus casinos to offer sports betting via an authorized sportsbook. Most casinos have taken advantage of this opportunity, while some have yet to partner with an online sportsbook.
- There are a few restrictions regarding what sporting events someone betting from Colorado can wager on. Colorado’s sports betting laws do not allow individuals to bet on esports events, high school sports, or any sporting events where the majority of participants are younger than 18.
- Colorado sportsbooks took in more than $5 billion in wagers during their first 18 months of operation, making Colorado’s sports betting industry one of the largest in the country.
Recent Sports Betting News in Colorado
Colorado is home to one of the country’s largest sports betting markets. Having taken in over $5 billion in bets since its launch, the state’s sports betting industry continues to grow at a rapid pace. Here are some of the most recent developments in Colorado’s sports betting industry:
- April 29, 2022: Sportsbooks took over $505 million in bets during March, marking a 68% increase over the $301 million taken during March 2021. College basketball wagers accounted for 19.2% of total bets, for a total of $96.9 million.
- March 31, 2022: Sportsbooks report a $440.5 million handle for February 2022. With these results, Colorado’s sports betting industry has officially taken in more than $6 billion in bets since launching in May 2020.
- March 28, 2022: Betsson announces it has chosen Colorado as its first U.S. market for its Betsafe brand. This comes after Betsson announced its partnership with Dostal Alley Casino in 2020.
- March 9, 2022: According to the platform’s license partner, Bet365 is planning to launch in Colorado in Q2 2022. Once it launches, it will be the 27th online sportsbook to go live in the state.
- March 2, 2022: Colorado’s sports betting industry set a new record handle in January thanks to a busy month for football and basketball. Colorado bettors placed a total of nearly $574 million in bets during the month — up 24.3% from December 2021 and 16.7% from the previous record of $491.5 million.
Online Sports Betting Apps Available in Colorado
There are currently 25 sports betting apps available in Colorado, and more are expected to launch in the near future. Here’s a comprehensive overview of the online sportsbooks currently available to Colorado residents:
|Sportsbook||Partner||Tech Supplier||Venue||Launch Date|
|Bally Bet||Golden Gulch Casino||Bet.Works||Golden Gulch Casino||May 24, 2021|
|Barstool Sportsbook||Ameristar Casino Resort Spa||Kambi||Ameristar Casino Resort Spa||Nov. 5, 2020|
|BetFred||Saratoga Casino||BetFred||Saratoga Casino||Sept. 10, 2020|
|BetMGM||Midnight Rose Hotel & Casino||Entain||Midnight Rose Hotel & Casino||May 1, 2020|
|BetMonarch||Monarch Casino||Stadium Technology Group||Monarch Casino||May 11, 2020|
|BetRivers||J.P. McGills Hotel & Casino||Kambi||J.P. McGills Hotel & Casino||May 1, 2020|
|Betway||Famous Bonanza Casino||N/A||Famous Bonanza Casino||May 11, 2021|
|BetWildwood||Wildwood Casino||ISI Race & Sports||Wildwood Casino||July 21, 2020|
|Caesars Sportsbook||Lady Luck Casino & Isle Casino||Scientific Games||Lady Luck Casino & Isle Casino||Sept. 8, 2020|
|Circa Sports||Century Casino||IGT||Century Casino||July 1, 2020|
|DraftKings||Golden Gulch Casino||SBTech||Golden Gulch Casino||May 1, 2020|
|Elite Sportsbook||Red Dolly Casino||Bet.Works||Red Dolly Casino||Aug. 12, 2020|
|FanDuel||Golden Gates Casino||IGT||Golden Gates Casino||May 1, 2020|
|FOX Bet||Lady Luck Casino||Flutter||Lady Luck Casino||May 19, 2020|
|MaximBet||Johnny Nolon’s Casino||Kambi||Johnny Nolon’s Casino||Sept. 16, 2020|
|Play Maverick Sports||Grand Z Casino||IGT||Grand Z Casino||March 16, 2021|
|PlayUp||Bull Durham Casino||N/A||Bull Durham Casino||March 10, 2021|
|PointsBet||Double Eagle Hotel & Casino||PointsBet||Double Eagle Hotel & Casino||Nov. 18, 2020|
|SBK Sportsbook||Full House Resorts||Smarkets||Full House Resorts||June 4, 2020|
|SI Sportsbook||Colorado Grande Casino||888||Colorado Grande Casino||Sept. 7, 2021|
|Sky Ute Sportsbook||Sky Ute Casino Resort||Stadium Technology Group||Sky Ute Casino Resort||June 9, 2020|
|SuperBook||The Lodge Casino||N/A||The Lodge Casino||Oct. 5, 2020|
|theScore Bet||The Lodge Casino||Bet.Works||The Lodge Casino||Sept. 2, 2020|
|Tipico||Century Casino||N/A||Century Casino||Aug. 18, 2021|
|WynnBET||Bronco Billy’s Casino||Scientific Games||Bronco Billy’s Casino||Dec. 22, 2020|
Are Daily Fantasy Sports Apps Legal in Colorado?
Daily fantasy sports (DFS) apps, such as FanDuel and DraftKings, let players create fictional rosters to compete with other users’ fictional teams in daily contests to win cash and other prizes. Some states ban these apps under their gambling laws, while others have legalized them as they consider them to be games of skill.
Colorado legalized daily fantasy sports apps in 2016, several years before the state legalized online sports betting. Individuals can participate in daily fantasy sports contests by registering with any licensed DFS platform, as long as they are 18 or older.
How to Place Responsible Sports Bets in Colorado
If you are 21 or older and within Colorado’s state lines, you can bet on sports online by registering with any of the legal online sportsbooks available in the state. After verifying your identity, age, and location, then depositing funds, you’ll be able to start placing bets immediately.
While sports betting can be a fun form of entertainment, anyone can develop a problematic gambling habit.
As such, you should keep these responsible gambling practices in mind when betting on sports:
- Only use licensed and regulated sports betting apps to avoid fraud, scams, and potential legal consequences.
- Never gamble while under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
- Set a betting budget and never bet more than you can comfortably afford to lose.
- Take breaks when necessary to avoid developing a compulsive gambling habit.
Gambling addiction can have a serious impact on your personal and professional lives. If you believe you may be addicted to gambling, contact the National Council on Problem Gambling hotline at 1-800-522-4700 for assistance. You can also visit the Problem Gambling Coalition of Colorado website to find local resources.
Colorado Sports Betting FAQs
|Is online sports betting legal?||Yes|
|Is mobile sports betting legal?||Yes|
|Is betting legal at retail locations?||Yes|
|Minimum legal gambling age||21|
Editor’s Note: Information accurate as of May 2022.
How old do I have to be to bet online in Colorado?
You must be 21 or older to bet online in Colorado. This also applies to betting in person at retail sportsbooks in the state.
Do you need to be a resident of Colorado to place bets online?
No, you do not need to be a resident of Colorado to place bets online, but you do need to be located inside state lines. You will have to verify your location before placing bets with an online or mobile sportsbook.
Who regulates the online sportsbooks in Colorado?
The Colorado Limited Gaming Control Commission and the Colorado Division of Gaming are responsible for regulating online sportsbooks and sports betting in Colorado.
Is it safe to use online sportsbooks apps in Colorado?
Yes, it is safe to use online sportsbooks apps in Colorado. Bettors should be sure to only use licensed and regulated online sportsbooks to avoid fraud, scams, and potential legal consequences.