As of January 2022, New York State has officially launched online sports betting. Residents and visitors within the state can now register with one of nine legal online sportsbooks to begin placing bets on their favorite local and national sports teams.
In the few short months that sports betting has been legal, the sports betting industry in New York has grown incredibly quickly, making New York the biggest sports betting state as measured by handle, e.g., the total amount of accepted wagers for an event like the Super Bowl.
Here’s everything you need to know about sports betting in New York, including where you can bet, who can bet, and more.
Details About Sports Betting in New York
- Online sports betting officially launched in New York on Jan. 8, 2022. This comes a few years after the launch of in-person betting, which began in 2019.
- New York residents can currently bet using one of eight legal online sportsbooks, and Bally Bet plans to launch in 2022 as the state’s ninth legal online sports betting platform.
- In March 2022, New York’s legal online sportsbooks took in $1.638 billion in bets and paid $58.3 million in taxes, showcasing the demand for sports betting in the state and its tax benefits.
- While New York state does allow bettors to place wagers on collegiate sports, you cannot bet on in-state college teams or events. This includes major local schools like Army, Syracuse, Fordham and St. Johns.
Recent Sports Betting News in New York
Online sports betting is still relatively new in the state of New York, but in just a few months, it has grown incredibly quickly. Here are the most recent developments in the New York sports betting industry:
- May 5, 2022: Bally’s CEO announces that Bally Bet will launch in New York during the second quarter of 2022, making it the ninth mobile sportsbook legally available in the state.
- April 25, 2022: FanDuel forms an official partnership with the New York Yankees for sports betting. As a result of this partnership, FanDuel will get signage at Yankee Stadium.
- April 11, 2022: It is reported that New York’s mobile sports betting industry took in a total of more than $1.6 billion in bets, highlighting the rapid growth of the state’s sports betting market.
- April 7, 2022: Sen. Joe Addabbo Jr. states that mobile sports betting expansion will be reconsidered closer to 2023, but for now, the mobile sports betting market will remain limited to nine operators.
- April 6, 2022: The New York Mets and Caesars Sportsbook announce a multiyear sports betting partnership, which includes a 13,000-square-foot lounge.
- March 4, 2022: Mobile sportsbooks in New York take in more than $1.5 billion in bets and pay around $41 million in taxes in February — just one month after sports betting launched in New York.
- Jan. 8, 2022: Sports betting officially launches in the state of New York, allowing residents and visitors to legally place bets on their favorite local teams.
Online Sports Betting Apps Available in New York
New York state currently allows for a total of nine mobile sportsbook operators. To date, eight mobile sports betting apps are currently available, while the ninth, Bally Bet, is expected to launch in the second quarter of 2022. Here’s a comprehensive list of all the mobile sports betting apps available in New York:
|Sportsbook||Partner||Tech Supplier||Venue||Launch Date|
|Bally Bet||N/A||Bet.Works||N/A||Est. Q2 2022|
|BetMGM||Madison Square Garden||Entain||Yonkers Raceway||Jan. 17, 2022|
|BetRivers||N/A||Kambi||Rivers Casino Schenectady||Jan. 8, 2022|
|Caesars Sportsbook||New York Mets||Scientific Games||Turning Stone Resort Casino||Jan. 8, 2022|
|DraftKings||New York Knicks||SBTech||Del Lago Resort & Casino||Jan. 8, 2022|
|FanDuel||New York Yankees||IGT||Tioga Downs||Jan. 8, 2022|
|PointsBet||N/A||PointsBet||N/A||Jan. 25, 2022|
|Resorts World Bet||N/A||Genius Sports||Resorts World New York||March 3, 2022|
|WynnBET||New York Jets||Scientific Games||N/A||Feb. 4, 2022|
Are Daily Fantasy Sports Apps Legal in New York?
Daily fantasy sports (DFS) apps let players assemble a roster of athletes from a given sport to compete with other users in daily contests to win cash and other prizes. While some states consider DFS contests to be a form of gambling, others, including New York, recognize DFS contests as games of skill.
On Aug. 3, 2016, New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo signed a law legalizing the operation of daily fantasy sports in the state. DFS apps are overseen and regulated by the New York State Gaming Commission, which ensures that players and operators are protected against fraud and abuse.
Players can participate in DFS contests by registering with an authorized app like DraftKings or FanDuel. To avoid fraud and scams, individuals should only use DFS apps that are registered with the New York State Gaming Commission.
How to Place Responsible Sports Bets in New York
New York bettors can start placing sports bets in as little as 10 minutes by signing up with one of the nine sports betting apps available in the state. After downloading an app, register by providing your basic identifying and financial information, then fund your account to begin placing bets. New York bettors can place wagers on most major sports and sporting events with the exception of in-state collegiate sports. After you register with a sports betting app, make sure to check what promotions and sign-up bonuses are available to new users.
When betting on sports online, it’s important to maintain responsible gambling practices to avoid developing a gambling addiction and suffering significant financial damages.
Responsible gambling includes setting and sticking to a strict gambling budget, taking breaks when necessary, and only placing bets with authorized and legal sportsbook operators. Bettors should also never place bets while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Gambling addiction can have a significant impact on your personal and professional life. If you believe you have or are developing a gambling addiction, contact the National Council on Problem Gambling hotline at 1-800-522-4700 to find local resources and get help.
New York Sports Betting FAQs
|Is online sports betting legal?||Yes|
|Is mobile sports betting legal?||Yes|
|Is betting legal at retail locations?||Yes|
|Minimum legal gambling age||21|
Editor’s note: Information accurate as of May 2022.
How old do I have to be to bet online in New York?
You must be 21 or older to bet online in New York. When using an online sportsbook, you will have to verify your age and identity before being able to place a bet.
Do you need to be a resident of New York to place bets online?
No, you do not need to be a resident of New York to place bets online, but you do need to be physically located in the state at the time of placing a bet.
Who regulates the online sportsbooks in New York?
Online sportsbooks in New York or regulated by the New York State Gaming Commission, which is responsible for licensing operators and ensuring fair gaming practices.
Is it safe to use online sportsbooks apps in New York?
Yes, it is safe to use online sportsbooks apps in New York. To avoid scams and enjoy a fair betting experience, individuals should only bet using one of the nine licensed sportsbooks available in the state.