Online sports betting has been legal in Virginia since 2021. Since then, the sports betting market has grown rapidly in the state.
The Virginia Lottery Board has authorized 14 operators to date, with four additional spots open for online sportsbook providers. Residents can register with any of these 14 providers to begin wagering on college and professional sports.
To learn more about online sports betting in Virginia, here’s an overview of the state’s sports betting laws, sports betting news, and more.
Details About Sports Betting in Virginia
- From February 2021 to February 2022, online sports betting wagers increased by about $401.9 million, which marks a 51.2% increase from $265.8 million in the previous year. This increase emphasizes the rapid growth of the sports betting market in Virginia.
- Sportsbooks in Virginia earned about $27.5 million in revenue over the past year, marking a 125.4% increase from the previous year’s $12.2 million in revenue.
- Gov. Glenn Youngkin signed a bill banning the use of the phrase “Virginia is for bettors” for marketing materials. Any sports betting platforms that use this phrase for marketing purposes may be subject to a $50,000 fine.
- Virginia recently approved two new operators, Betway and SI Sportsbook, with the former planning to accept its first wager in May 2022. With these additions, Virginia has four spots remaining for new sportsbooks.
Recent Sports Betting News in Virginia
Online and mobile sports betting has been legal in Virginia since January 2021, and since then, the online sports betting market has grown rapidly. While there are currently no retail sportsbooks, the same law that allowed online sports betting included provisions for several land-based casinos, which can also house retail sportsbooks.
- May 18, 2022: Betway begins accepting wagers, making it Virginia’s 14th legal online sportsbook.
- April 27, 2022: SI Sportsbook, in partnership with 888, officially launches as Virginia’s 13th legal online sportsbook.
- April 27, 2022: The Virginia Lottery Board issues the first facility operator’s license, allowing Hard Rock Bristol to operate the state’s first casino. The casino may also house its own retail sportsbook if it chooses to do so.
- April 11, 2022: Gov. Youngkin signs a bill banning sportsbooks from using the phrase “Virginia is for bettors” based on the state’s “Virginia is for lovers” slogan.
- March 31, 2022: Hard Rock Sportsbook officially begins accepting wagers in Virginia. This comes ahead of Hard Rock’s plan to open Virginia’s first casino in July.
- January 2021: Online sports betting officially launches in Virginia with the opening of several sportsbooks, including FanDeul, DraftKings, and BetMGM.
Online Sports Betting Apps Available in Virginia
Virginia’s online sports betting laws allow for a total of 18 online sportsbooks. At the time of writing, 14 operators have been approved and are accepting wagers.
|Sportsbook||Partner||Tech Supplier||Venue||Launch Date|
|Bally Bet||N/A||Bet.Works||N/A||Nov. 24, 2021|
|Barstool Sportsbook||N/A||Kambi||N/A||March 15, 2021|
|BetMGM||N/A||Entain||N/A||Jan. 27, 2021|
|BetRivers||Rush Street Gaming||Kambi||N/A||Jan. 27, 2021|
|Betway||N/A||N/A||N/A||May 18, 2022|
|Caesars Sportsbook||Caesars||Scientific Games||N/A||Feb. 3, 2021|
|DraftKings||N/A||SBTech||N/A||Jan. 24, 2021|
|FanDuel||Washington Commanders||IGT||N/A||Jan. 20, 2021|
|Golden Nugget Sportsbook||Ojibwa Casino Resort||SBTech||N/A||Sept. 29, 2021|
|Hard Rock Sportsbook||Hard Rock Bristol||N/A||Hard Rock Bristol||March 31, 2022|
|PointsBet||Colonial Downs||PointsBet||N/A||Dec. 12, 2021|
|SI Sportsbook||N/A||888||N/A||April 27, 2022|
|Unibet||N/A||Kambi||N/A||April 28, 2021|
|WynnBET||NASCAR||Scientific Games||N/A||March 9, 2021|
Are Daily Fantasy Sports Apps Legal in Virginia?
Daily fantasy sports (DFS) contests let players create fictional teams to compete against other players in daily contests to earn cash prizes. While some consider DFS contests to be “games of skill,” some states have made DFS illegal because they consider them to be a form of gambling as “games of chance.”
While online sports betting has only been in effect within Virginia since 2021, daily fantasy sports contests have been legal for several years. Popular DFS providers like DraftKings and FanDuel have operated their DFS platform in Virginia since 2016. Virginia residents can register with platforms like these to create fantasy teams, enter contests, and win cash prizes.
When participating in DFS contests, players should exercise caution because, like sports betting, fantasy sports can be addictive and result in significant financial damages.
How to Place Responsible Sports Bets in Virginia
Virginia residents who want to participate in online sports betting can get started quickly by registering with any of the legal sportsbooks in the state. When registering, you may need to provide basic identifying and financial information. You will also need to link a bank account, debit card, or another payment method to process deposits and withdrawals.
After registering, you can begin placing wagers on all major sports and leagues. Virginia bettors cannot, however, bet on youth sports, bet on Virginia college sports, or place prop bets on college players. You can bet on colleges outside Virginia, though.
When betting on sports online, it’s important to follow responsible gambling practices to minimize your risk of developing a gambling addiction. Gambling addiction can have a major impact on your personal and professional life. Beyond losing money, gambling addiction may also result in significant mental health decline.
Keep these tips in mind when betting on sports online:
- Set a strict gambling budget to avoid losing excessive amounts of money.
- While it may be tempting, don’t chase losses.
- Set time limits to avoid spending too much time gambling.
- Take breaks from sports betting when you notice it’s becoming problematic.
- Don’t gamble while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
If you believe you have a gambling addiction or are starting to exhibit problematic gambling behavior, contact the National Council on Problem Gambling hotline at 1-800-522-4700. This hotline will help you find local resources to help you deal with your gambling addiction.
Virginia Sports Betting FAQs
|Is online sports betting legal?||Yes|
|Is mobile sports betting legal?||Yes|
|Is betting legal at retail locations?||Yes|
|Minimum legal gambling age||21|
Editor’s note: Information accurate as of May 2022.