Montana legalized sports betting in 2019 and launched retail and online sports betting the following year.
Although Montana is home to hundreds of retail sports betting kiosks and locations, only one online sports betting app is available in the state. Sports Bet Montana is operated by the Montana Lottery, and bettors must be on-site at a retail sports betting location to use the app to place bets online.
Here’s everything you need to know about online sports betting in Montana, including where you can bet, how old you have to be to place bets online, and how to bet on sports responsibly.
Details About Sports Betting in Montana
- Montana Gov. Steve Bullock signed a bill to legalize sports betting in 2019, and both retail and online sports betting went live in 2020.
- Montana is home to over 100 retail sports betting locations, but there is only one online sportsbook — Sports Bet Montana — available in the state.
- Sports Bet Montana is operated by the Montana Lottery and uses a platform provided by Intralot, a Greek gaming technology provider. Intralot was awarded this contract without having to go through a bidding process, as the company was already the supplier for the Montana Lottery.
- Although online sports betting is legal in Montana, it’s only available while the bettor is on-site at a retail sports betting location. The Sports Bet Montana app will recognize when a bettor is on-site and let them place bets.
- When not at a sports betting facility, bettors can still use the Sports Bet Montana app to create accounts, make deposits and withdrawals, create betting slips, and set bet limits.
- While Montana has legalized sports betting, it’s one of the few states to explicitly prohibit daily fantasy sports (DFS) contests. However, the Montana Lottery offers its own fantasy sports games.
Recent Sports Betting News in Montana
Legal sports betting launched in Montana in 2020, but the state’s sports betting industry remains relatively small compared to other states due to the limited availability of online sports betting. There are currently no plans to expand online sports betting in Montana, meaning residents will have to continue to bet on-site at retail sports betting locations. Here are some of the most recent developments in the Montana sports betting industry:
- June 23, 2022: Caesars Sportsbook launches the Caesars Racebook betting app in Montana. Bettors can use this app to partake in pari-mutuel wagering on horse races at more than 250 race tracks from around the world.
- 10, 2022: After a poor performance in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Montana sports betting industry rebounds in 2021, taking in a total of $46 million in bets through Dec. 27, 2021.
- 31, 2020: After launching in March 2020, Sports Bet Montana had only generated $3.75 million in handle through Aug. 20, 2020. While this was partially due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it also suggests that bettors are rejecting Intralot’s prices.
- March 12, 2020: Montana sports betting officially goes live. After being the first state to legalize sports betting in 2019, Montana becomes the 17th state in the nation to launch legal sports betting. There will be more than 100 retail betting sites opening around the state to accompany the launch of Sports Bet Montana.
- 25, 2020: After approving bet types and sports, the Montana Lottery announces the installation of sports wagering terminals will begin in early March to open in time for March Madness.
Online Sports Betting Apps Available in Montana
Sports Bet Montana is currently the only sports betting app available in Montana. The app is operated by the Montana Lottery and uses technology provided by Intralot. Bettors can only use the Sports Bet Montana app while on-site at a licensed sports betting location, and players are limited to maximum bets of $250 at betting kiosks and $1,000 while using the online sportsbook.
|Sportsbook||Partner||Tech Supplier||Venue||Launch Date|
|Sports Bet Montana||Montana Lottery||Intralot||N/A||March 12, 2020|
Are Daily Fantasy Sports Apps Legal in Montana?
Daily fantasy sports apps allow users to participate in daily and weekly contests in which they compete against other players using fantasy sports teams they create. These apps can be considered games of chance or games of skill, leaving them to operate in a legal gray area in many states.
Despite sports betting being legal in Montana, the state is one of the few to prohibit DFS contests. Montana residents cannot legally participate in contests offered by major platforms such as DraftKings and FanDuel, though they can play fantasy football games through the Montana Lottery.
How to Place Responsible Sports Bets in Montana
Sports betting is available to anyone 18 or older located within Montana’s state lines. Bettors can get started by visiting a retail betting site and using the Sports Bet Montana app or a betting kiosk to place their first wager.
Bettors should follow these responsible betting practices to minimize the impact sports betting has on their financial health and personal well-being:
- Set and stick to a strict gambling budget.
- Use the Sports Bet Montana app to set up deposit limits, bet limits, and session limits.
- Never bet while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Don’t use any apps aside from Sports Bet Montana, as there are no other sportsbooks licensed to operate in Montana.
- Quit gambling and seek help immediately if you believe you may be addicted.
Problem gambling is a serious issue that can negatively impact all aspects of your life. If you believe you may be addicted to gambling, contact the National Council on Problem Gambling Hotline at 1-800-522-4700 for assistance. You can also visit the Montana Council on Problem Gambling website for more resources.
Montana Sports Betting FAQs
|Is online sports betting legal?||Yes|
|Is mobile sports betting legal?||Yes|
|Is betting legal at retail locations?||Yes|
|Minimum legal gambling age||18|
Editor’s Note: Information accurate as of July 2022.
How old do I have to be to bet online in Montana?
You must be 18 or older to bet online in Montana.
Do you need to be a resident of Montana to place bets online?
No, you do not need to be a resident of Montana to place bets online. However, you do need to be within state lines and on-site at a retail betting location to place bets using the Sports Bet Montana app.
Who regulates the online sportsbooks in Montana?
The Montana Lottery operates and regulates the only online sportsbook app in Montana.
Is it safe to use online sportsbooks apps in Montana?
Yes, it is safe to bet on sports online in Montana. To avoid scams, fraud, and other consequences, bettors should only use the Sports Bet Montana app as it is currently the only legal online sportsbook available in the state.