With the first sports betting apps launching in early 2022, Louisiana residents can now enjoy legal and regulated sports betting.
There are currently seven sportsbook apps available in the state, but Louisiana law allows for a total of 40 mobile sportsbooks, so more sportsbooks are likely to launch in the future.
Here’s everything Louisiana residents need to know about online sports betting, including who can bet, where you can bet, and how to bet online responsibly.
Details About Sports Betting in Louisiana
- Online sports betting officially began in Louisiana on Jan. 28, 2022, with the launch of BetMGM, DraftKings, FanDuel, and three other online sportsbooks.
- Louisiana law allows for up to 40 mobile sportsbooks. There are 20 available licenses, and each license holder is permitted to have two online skins.
- Sports betting isn’t legal throughout Louisiana. Legal sports betting is only available in 55 of the state’s 64 parishes. Bettors must verify their location when using a mobile sportsbook before being allowed to place any bets.
- In addition to the 20 licenses given to casinos and racinos, the Louisiana Lottery was allotted its own license and is permitted to place sports betting casinos at thousands of locations throughout Louisiana.
- Several new sportsbooks are expected to launch in Louisiana in the near future, including BlueBet, which has already gained market access through a deal with Louisiana Downs.
Recent Sports Betting News in Louisiana
Louisiana is one of the most recent states to legalize online sports betting. As the market is still relatively new, several new sportsbooks are expected to launch as the industry continues to grow. Here are some of the most recent developments in the Louisiana sports betting industry:
- May 16, 2022: The Louisiana Gaming Control Board reports that sportsbooks took in over $208 million in April, down 10.5% from the March handle. This handle accounts for $5.6 million in revenue.
- April 26, 2022: BlueBet announces it has reached a deal with Louisiana Downs to gain market access in the state. BlueBet plans to launch its sports betting platform in the second quarter of 2023.
- April 18, 2022: Louisiana sportsbooks report a $232.7 million handle for March, generating $30.1 million, compared to $17.3 million in revenue during February.
- March 24, 2022: DraftKings opens a temporary sportsbook in Hollywood Casino Baton Rouge, which includes three ticket windows and 20 betting kiosks.
- March 4, 2022: Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards proclaims March as Problem Gambling Awareness Month in the state. In the announcement, he mentions mobile sports betting raises the odds for problem gambling.
- Feb. 24, 2022: Sporttrade announces it has gained market access to Louisiana thanks to a deal with Penn National Gaming.
- Feb. 17, 2022: Mobile sportsbooks took in a total of $40.5 million in bets during the first four days of mobile sports betting in Louisiana, compared to the $49 million in bets retail sportsbooks took in for the whole month.
Online Sports Betting Apps Available in Louisiana
Louisiana law allows for up to 40 mobile sportsbooks, but currently only seven are available as the sports betting market is still in its early days. Here’s an overview of all the online sports betting apps available in Louisiana:
|Sportsbook||Partner||Tech Supplier||Venue||Launch Date|
|Barstool Sportsbook||L’Auberge Baton Rouge||Kambi||L’Auberge Baton Rouge||Jan. 28, 2022|
|BetMGM||Amelia Belle||Entain||Amelia Belle, Sam’s Town Shreveport Casino||Jan. 28, 2022|
|BetRivers||Margaritaville Resort Casino||Kambi||Margaritaville Resort Casino||Jan. 28, 2022|
|Caesars Sportsbook||Harrah’s Casino New Orleans||Scientific Games||Harrah’s Casino New Orleans||Jan. 28, 2022|
|DraftKings||Golden Nugget Lake Charles||SBTech||Golden Nugget Lake Charles||Jan. 28, 2022|
|FanDuel||Treasure Chest Casino||IGT||Treasure Chest Casino, Sam’s Town Shreveport Casino||Jan. 28, 2022|
|WynnBET||Caesars||Scientific Games||Horseshoe Bossier City Casino & Hotel||Feb. 10, 2022|
Are Daily Fantasy Sports Apps Legal in Louisiana?
Daily fantasy sports (DFS) apps let users create fictional teams using real players to compete with other users in daily contests for cash and other prizes. Due to the nature of these games, some states see them as games of skill, while others treat them the same as traditional sports betting apps.
In Louisiana, daily fantasy sports apps have been legal for several years. In 2018, 47 of 64 Louisiana parishes voted to legalize DFS contests, paving the way for major platforms like DraftKings and FanDuel to launch in Louisiana in 2021. While these apps were legalized in 2018, the state didn’t begin issuing licenses until 2021 because it took two years to pass a taxation bill for DFS apps.
How to Place Responsible Sports Bets in Louisiana
Anyone 21 or older located within Louisiana state lines can bet on sports online. You start by registering with one of the state’s legal sportsbook apps, verifying your age, identity, and location, and depositing funds into your account.
However, to ensure a fun and safe betting experience, it’s important to follow responsible gambling practices when betting on sports online.
Responsible betting includes:
- Only using a licensed and legal sportsbook to avoid scams, fraud, legal consequences, and other issues
- Taking breaks from gambling or quitting gambling if it’s starting to impact other aspects of your life
- Setting and sticking to a reasonable gambling budget to avoid betting more money than you can afford to lose
- Seeking help immediately if gambling is starting to negatively impact your life
- Never betting while under the influence of any drugs or alcohol
- Remembering that sports betting is a form of entertainment, not a legitimate way to earn money
While sports betting can be a fun form of entertainment, gambling addiction can happen to anybody. If you believe you may be addicted to gambling, contact the National Council on Problem Gambling hotline at 1-800-522-4700 for assistance.
Louisiana Sports Betting FAQs
|Is online sports betting legal?||Yes|
|Is mobile sports betting legal?||Yes|
|Is betting legal at retail locations?||Yes|
|Minimum legal gambling age||21|
Editor’s Note: Information accurate as of June 2022.