Mississippi was one of the few states to legalize sports betting in 2018 after the Supreme Court ruled the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) unconstitutional.
Since then, nearly 30 retail sportsbooks have opened in Mississippi. However, mobile sports betting remains very limited. BetMGM is the only mobile sports betting app to go live in the state, and bettors can only use it while on-site at BetMGM retail sportsbooks in two of the state’s casinos.
Sports betting may become more widely available in the future, as Mississippi legislators remain dedicated to legalizing statewide mobile sports betting. But as of 2022, none of these attempts have been successful, leaving residents without the mobile betting options that other states with legal sports betting typically offer.
Here’s everything you need to know about online sports betting in Mississippi, including where you can bet, who can bet, and when statewide mobile sports betting may be legalized.
Details About Sports Betting in Mississippi
- Mississippi legalized sports betting in 2018, and the state’s first retail sportsbooks opened in August of that year.
- Online sports betting is available in Mississippi but is very limited as individuals can only place bets using mobile betting apps while they are physically on-site at a licensed casino. BetMGM was the first online sportsbook to launch in Mississippi.
- Since opening its first retail sportsbook in 2018, Mississippi has opened nearly 30 brick-and-mortar sports betting locations.
- As DraftKings and FanDuel already have a presence in Mississippi as daily fantasy sports platforms, they will likely be two of the first online sportsbooks to launch in the state once online sports betting becomes more widespread.
Recent Sports Betting News in Mississippi
Mississippi was one of the first states to legalize sports betting after the Supreme Court struck down PASPA. However, compared to other states with legal sports betting, Mississippi’s sports betting industry is relatively small due to the limited availability of mobile betting options. Here are some of the most recent updates about the state’s sports betting industry:
- June 15, 2022: According to the Mississippi Gaming Commission, the state’s sportsbooks took in over $29 million in bets for May, making it the lowest monthly handle since August 2021.
- Feb. 10, 2022: Fubo Gaming earns market access and can operate in Mississippi pending the legalization of mobile sports betting in the state. Fubo Sportsbook is already live in two states and hopes to launch in Mississippi in the near future.
- Feb. 1, 2022: Mississippi will be without mobile sports betting in 2022 as HB 184 dies in committee.
- Jan. 3, 2022: Rep. Cedric Burnett introduces HB 184, which would legalize online sports betting and esports betting in Mississippi.
- Nov. 12, 2021: BetMGM launches its mobile app at Beau Rivage Resort & Casino in Biloxi. This makes it the second destination in the state to offer an online sports betting platform, both of which use the BetMGM platform.
- Nov. 4, 2021: The Mississippi House Gaming Committee announces it’s working on a new bill that would legalize online sports betting by early 2022.
- Sept. 24, 2021: BetMGM officially launches Mississippi’s first online sports betting app. Bettors may only use the app while on-site at BetMGM casinos in the state.
- Feb. 2021: SB 2732 and HB 1042, both of which aimed to legalize statewide mobile sports betting, die in committee.
- August 2018: BetMGM opens the first retail sportsbook in Mississippi after the state legalized sports betting earlier in the year.
Online Sports Betting Apps Available in Mississippi
Currently, BetMGM is the only online sports betting app available in Mississippi. However, bettors may only place wagers using the BetMGM app while on-site at one of two BetMGM retail sportsbooks in the state. The BetMGM is geofenced to the Beau Rivage Casino and Gold Strike Casino. While legislators have made repeated attempts to legalize statewide mobile sports betting in recent years, none of these attempts have been successful. However, there is hope that more mobile sportsbooks will launch in the future as lawmakers remain dedicated to expanding the state’s sports betting industry.
|Sportsbook||Partner||Tech Supplier||Venue||Launch Date|
|BetMGM||Beau Rivage Resort & Casino, Gold Strike Casino||Entain||Beau Rivage Resort & Casino, Gold Strike Casino||Sept. 24, 2021|
Are Daily Fantasy Sports Apps Legal in Mississippi?
Daily fantasy sports (DFS) contests let users capitalize on their sports knowledge by building fantasy teams and competing against other players in daily and weekly contests. These apps often operate in a legal gray area, as some states classify them as gambling while others view them as games of skill.
Mississippi legalized DFS apps in 2017. The Fantasy Contest Act established regulations for DFS apps in Mississippi. Residents can participate in these contests by registering with platforms such as DraftKings and FanDuel.
How to Place Responsible Sports Bets in Mississippi
Mississippi residents and visitors can bet on sports by visiting one of the many retail sportsbooks in the state. You can also use the BetMGM app to bet on sports while physically on-site at a BetMGM retail sportsbook.
While sports betting can be a great source of entertainment, it’s important to follow responsible gambling practices to reduce your chances of developing a problematic gambling habit.
Responsible gambling practices include:
- Only betting at licensed sportsbooks in the state
- Not using any offshore sports betting apps that claim to operate legally in Mississippi
- Setting and sticking to a strict gambling budget
- Never chasing losses
- Never betting while under the influence of alcohol or other drugs
- Taking breaks from sports betting or quitting altogether if it’s negatively impacting other aspects of your life
Problem gambling is a major issue that can impact anyone. If you believe you may be addicted to gambling, call the National Council on Problem Gambling hotline at 1-800-522-4700 for assistance.
Mississippi Sports Betting FAQs
|Is online sports betting legal?||Yes|
|Is mobile sports betting legal?||Yes|
|Is betting legal at retail locations?||Yes|
|Minimum legal gambling age||21|
Editor’s Note: Information accurate as of June 2022.